Sunday, March 23, 2003

Talimena Scenic Byway

I didn't sleep very well last night. I woke up around 3am, walked around a bit, brushed my teeth, walked around a bit more, looked at the weather and decided to go have breakfast at the Skyline Cafe in Mena, AR. After filling my Camelback with water, mounting the tank bag to the bike and giving it a once-over I was ready to hit the road.

click to enlarge

I just love getting on the road before the sun comes up. That hour or two or three or... before the sun begins to illuminate the sky is so refreshingly peaceful and calm. I can't help but think it's similar to being in the womb. At some point and in an instant of time the sky begins to lighten the eastern sky and you realize the cosmos is moments away from giving birth to a new day filled with the hopes and dreams of us all. As the sun moves closer and closer to the horizon the anticipation and excitement of the new day increases with every new ray of light. When the sun finally peeks it's head over the horizon you realize a new day is here and you're now responsible for making it special.

Now breakfast at the Skyline isn't the only excuse for making a run to Mena, AR. The Talimena Scenic Byway runs along the crest of the Ouachita Mountains from Talihina, OK to Mena, AR. For us folks in the relative flatlands of Dallas the Talimena is a great day trip to see some hills and enjoy some twisties.

I've never had a bad meal at the Skyline. Open daily from 05:30 to 14:00. Plenty of breakfast and their lunch special is always excellent. Homestyle, country cookin' at its best.

I took a few pictures on the way back. Check 'em out.

click to enlarge

No comments: